A complete Ubuntu desktop for docked Android phones
Ubuntu for Android is an upcoming free and open source variant of Ubuntu designed to run on Android phones. It is expected to come pre-loaded on several phones.
- Both Ubuntu and Android run at the same time on the device, without emulation or virtualization, and without the need to reboot. This is possible because both Ubuntu and Android share the same kernel (Linux)
- When the device is connected to a desktop monitor, it features a standard Ubuntu Desktop interface
- When the device is connected to a TV, the interface featured is the Ubuntu TV experience.
- Ability to run standard Ubuntu Desktop applications, like Firefox, Thunderbird, VLC etc.
- Ability to run Android applications on the Ubuntu Desktop.
- Make and receive calls and SMSs directly from the Desktop.
System requirementsAccording to Canonical a phone needs the following requirements:
- Dual-core 1 GHz CPU
- Video acceleration: shared kernel driver with associated X driver; OpenGL, ES/EGL
- Storage: 2 GB for OS disk image
- HDMI: video-out with secondary framebuffer device
- USB host mode
- 512 MB RAM
Ubuntu for Android provides a full desktop experience, including office software, web browsing, email and media applications, on Android phones docked to a screen and keyboard. Thanks to tight integration with the Android service layer, the transition between the two environments is seamless, making it easy to access the phone's services from the desktop when docked.
Reference: http://wikipedia.org, http://www.ubuntu.com